Users Online : 1145 About us |  Subscribe |  e-Alerts  | Feedback | Login   |   
Journal of Minimal Access Surgery Current Issue | Archives | Ahead Of Print Journal of Minimal Access Surgery
           Print this page Email this page   Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size 
 ¤   Next article
 ¤   Previous article
 ¤   Table of Contents

 ¤   Similar in PUBMED
 ¤  Search Pubmed for
 ¤  Search in Google Scholar for
 ¤Related articles
 ¤   Citation Manager
 ¤   Access Statistics
 ¤   Reader Comments
 ¤   Email Alert *
 ¤   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed294    
    Printed2    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded35    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 353-359

Multidisciplinary, minimally invasive approach for oesophageal perforations with delayed presentation


1 Department of Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Chest Surgery and Chest Onco-Surgery, Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon, Haryana, India
2 Department of Gastroenterology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Arvind Kumar
Room No. 12, 4th Floor, OPD Block, Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon, Haryana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jmas.JMAS_28_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: The present study aims to report the outcomes of a multidisciplinary, minimally invasive approach to treating patients with delayed presentation of oesophageal perforation. Patients and Methods: The present study is a retrospective analysis of prospectively maintained data at a tertiary care centre. All patients with oesophageal perforation presenting over 48 h after the onset of symptoms and without oesophageal obstruction were included in the study. Self-expanding Metallic Stent (SEMS) or endoscopic clip placement was performed in all the patients, followed by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) debridement and decortication of pleural cavity collection. 'Success' was defined as, discharge without the need of oesophageal diversion and complete healing of leak site at 8 weeks with successful removal of the stent. Results: Between March 2012 and December 2019, 12 patients (10 males, median age of 55 years– range of 39–71 years) with oesophageal perforation and delayed presentation underwent treatment with this approach. Ten patients had spontaneous perforation (83.3%) and one patient each had upper gastrointestinal endoscopy-induced and post-traumatic perforation. The median duration of symptoms was 8 days (range 3–31 days). SEMS was placed in ten patients and, in two patients, an over-the-scope clip was used. VATS decortication was done in ten patients (83.3%) and the remaining two (16.7%) underwent VATS debridement. One patient required oesophageal diversion and another patient expired due to sepsis. The overall success with this approach was 83.3%. Conclusion: This multidisciplinary, minimally invasive approach is feasible in patients with thoracic oesophageal perforation and delayed presentation, with a high success rate.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

© 2004 Journal of Minimal Access Surgery
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow
Online since 15th August '04